Thursday, January 26, 2012

At a Corner Cafe or in Cambodia

There are three things I remember distinctly about my trip to Cambodia: the overwhelming heat, the temples, and the ever-present aftermath of Khmer Rouge.

It was one of those decisions made on a whim, and after exchanging few emails, my friends and I had decided to meet in Cambodia. So, instead of getting together at a corner cafe, we all flew in from different part of world and landed in its capital, Phnom Penh.

I knew so little of Cambodia prior to my visit, and even now, after visiting and seeing most of the significant sites, I’m still uncertain as if I can grasp the enormity of the atrocities the Cambodian people were subjected to for nearly three decades.

There are two faces to Cambodia: one shiny and happy, the other dark and complex, but such is the yin and yang of Cambodia, a country that inspires and confines.

Phnom Penh
Royal Palace
Tuol Sleng
Siem Reap
Ankor Wat
Angkor Thom
Ta Prohm
Bantaey Srei

Recommended hotel in Siem Reap: Angkor Village Hotel 855 (0) 6396 3361
Recommended restaurants: Lemongrass (14, Khemarak Phomin, Phnom Penh 01299 6707), Le Grand Café (Old Market, Pop Street, Siem Reap 01266 4567)

0 comments:

Post a Comment